Guide to Cold Reading
By Ray Hyman
1. Remember that the key ingredient of a successful character reading is confidence.
2. Make creative use of the latest statistical abstracts, polls and surveys.
3. Set the stage for your reading.
4. Gain the subject’s cooperation in advance.
5. Use a gimmick, such as Tarot cards, crystal ball, palm reading etc.
6. Have a list of stock phrases at the tip of your tongue.
7. Keep your eyes open!
8. Use the technique of fishing.
9. Learn to be a good listener.
10. Dramatise your reading.
11. Always give the impression that you know more than you are saying.
12. Don’t be afraid to flatter your subject at every opportunity.
13. Remember the Golden Rule — always tell the subject what he/she wants to hear!
Study them well, then amaze your friends with your new found psychic powers!
Taming the Tongue
3 days ago