Thursday, July 1, 2010

Quimby on the power of hypnosis

During a session of the District Court in this village in 1842, some curiosity was exhibited among many distinguished gentlemen present to witness some of my experiments. I called on Judge Allen and found Gov. Anderson, Judge Briggles, the Rev. Mr. Hodgsdon, and others present.
Several experiments were performed. The Rev. Mr. Hodgsdon, being placed in communication with my subject, took him to Dexter where his family were then residing. He described the house and family and said there was a small child sick, lying in the cradle; that Mrs. Hodgsdon said the child was getting better, etc.
Mr. Hodgsdon corrected Lucius, and told him that he was mistaken about the cradle; that there was no cradle in the house. Lucius replied that there was, and that the child was lying in it; and he would not yield to Mr. Hodgsdon's correction.
The following day he returned to his family and found that Lucius was correct - that a cradle had been borrowed of one of his neighbors, and that the child was lying in it, was getting better, etc. - just as had been related by my subject.
{This is advanced stage hypnosis, beyond the scope of most practitioners.}
* * * *
I had been out during the evening, giving some private experiments, and on returning home lost my pocket handkerchief. I heard nothing from it for more than a week. I then mesmerized my subject and requested him to find it. He told me where I could find it, described the individual who picked it up in the street, and told where it was found.
The next morning I saw an individual answering to the description, and enquired of him if he had found a handkerchief, and he replied that he had and told me when and where - which was precisely as my subject had told me.
[There are methods to hypnotize someone to find lost objects.]

Quimby used the term subject for the person mesmerized/hypnotised:

Lucius Burkmar.

Share/Bookmark


The future of hypnosis may well lie in the relation of Quimby's work and Walter Sicort's work in UltraDepth (if any). At least, maybe in techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment